The Shape of Things to Come for Devon
A new local plan for nothern Devon's just been released...and it earmarks 16,000 new homes for the area.
North Devon and Torridge district councils have joined forces to put together the plan which will now go out for public consultation.
It considers development up to 2031 and includes:
- earmarking 157 hectares of employment land for businesses to start up or expand and create jobs
- providing opportunities to improve education, training and skill levels
- providing land for approximately 16,000 new and affordable homes
- improving transport around the area, including pedestrian and cycle routes
- improving access to and provide community, leisure, education and health care facilities
- protecting the environment, coast and countryside
The main areas affected by the plan are Barnstaple, Bideford, Braunton and Wrafton, Fremington and Yelland, Great Torrington, Holsworthy, Ilfracombe, Northam and South Molton. There are also policies affecting the rural areas.
Council planner Andrew Austen's been talking to our reporter Wendy Buckingham CLICK HERE
Leader of North Devon Council, Councillor Brian Greenslade says: "The local plan is an opportunity for local people, communities and businesses to help shape the future of Northern Devon. I urge everyone in the area who cares about its future to come forward and let us know what they think about it. If you have a different idea, then please let us know - this is your chance to make a difference to where you live and work."
The consultation will run for six weeks starting on 31 January. To take part and have your say, visit either of the council websites www.northdevon.gov.uk/localplan or www.torridge.gov.uk/localplan. Paper copies of the plan can also be viewed at the council offices, libraries and parish council offices.
Following this consultation, council officers will put all the comments together to form an amended plan. This new draft will then go out for consultation during the summer, before going to the Secretary of State towards the end of the year.