Brutal Assault On Two Elderly Men In Bedford
14 January 2014, 12:07
Two friends brutally attacked as they walked home after getting a kebab.
Two elderly men have been badly beaten after being attacked for 'no obvious reason' in Bedford town centre.
The pair had been walking along the footpath at Cavendish Street after getting a takeaway in the early hours of Sunday 12 January in the Broadway, when they were set upon by one or two men.
They were punched, kicked and stamped on, apparently with no motive.
65 year old Carol Oxenham has been left with a fractured eye socket and broken jaw, his friend, Merlin O'Brien aged 72, suffered brusing and swelling and two black eyes.
Mr Oxenham will needed extensive surgery for his injuries.
The attackers were said to be part of a larger group of up to ten.
Det Con Andy Boston from Bedford CID said: "Even for an experienced detective, it's shocking to see the severity of injuries caused to two gentlemen of this age who have been attacked for no obvious reason.
"At this stage details are still a bit sketchy as both have been beaten round the head but nothing has been stolen and no words were exchanged before the attack.
"They can think of no reason why they were targeted and neither can I - they were minding their own business simply walking home from the kebab shop.
"Violence of this level is still very rare in Bedford town centre so I'm that sure that anyone who sees these pictures and can give us information, will want to help.
"Someone else may have taken the same route home and seen these people hanging about on the footpath, or knows what was behind the attack. Perhaps you were in the group but were not involved in the attack and were disgusted by what you saw. Please contact us with any information you have - the injuries look bad enough as it is, but in fact they could have had an even worse outcome. "