Dog rescued from ice by firefighters
Firefighters are praising a man who waited for crews to arrive rather than going into the water to rescue his two year old Newfoundland dog.
The man dialled 999 at 12.20pm on Sunday (December 5th) and gave precise details about his location near an ice covered lake at Meadow Lane in St Ives. He explained that his dog Merlin had fallen through the ice and was unable to get out of the freezing water.
Two crews from St Ives, a crew from Huntingdon and a rescue vehicle from Huntingdon arrived quickly. Firefighters in dry suits rescued Merlin the dog using an inflatable boat. Merlin was then brought to the bank and wrapped in a foil blanket and taken to the vets for a check-up.
Firefighters praised the man, stating that if he had entered the water to try and rescue Merlin, he would have almost certainly ended up dead.
Eddie Theaker, Watch Manager at Huntingdon Fire Station said: “As a former dog owner myself, I know it sounds cruel to warn people against going into icy water to rescue their pet.
“But if that had happened, this man would have very quickly got into difficulties and both he and his dog would have almost certainly died in this lake.”
The owner of the dog, who does not wish to be named, said: “I was going to go into the water to rescue Merlin, but I stopped myself and dialled 999 instead. I’m so glad I stopped myself.”
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service would like to issue the following advice to dog owners:
- Keep your dogs on leads at all times near frozen water.
- If your dog gets into trouble, do not follow it onto the ice.
- Make no attempt to try to rescue it, you will put your life in danger.
- Call the emergency services 999.
- Tell them exactly where you are and what has happened.