Ed's Frangipane Tart
We want everyone in the kitchen doing their bit to raise money for Have a Heart, so we can help grant more magical wishes to seriously ill children.
Why not try Ed's frangipane tart with cherries, have a go at baking it and share it with friends by hosting your own 'Bake a Wish' cake sale raising money for Have a Heart.
- 375g (13oz) dessert pastry
- 110g (4oz) soft butter, room temperature
- 110g (4oz) caster sugar
- Grated zest of 2 small oranges
- A few drops of almond extract, optional
- 2 eggs
- 110g (4oz) ground almonds
- 30g (1oz) plain flour
- 600g (1lb 5oz) English cherries, stalks removed washed and pitted
- TO SERVE:
- Lightly whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream
- Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 170C fan/gas 6. Unroll the dessert pastry, then fold it up and form it into a ball - this makes bought pastry more pliable. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface as thinly as possible and use to line a 22cm (8½in) deep-fluted tin.
- To remove excess pastry, roll over the top of the tin with a rolling pin. Prick the pastry base with a fork and chill for 30 minutes. Then cover with a circle of baking parchment before filling with dry beans or ceramic beans and bake 'blind' for 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking parchment and beans, and bake for a further 6 minutes, or until crisp and pale golden. Place on a rack to cool completely. This can be made and kept in an airtight tin for a few days before you need it.
- Set the oven to 190C/160C fan/gas 5. Cream the butter, sugar and almond extract together until creamy.
- Mix in the orange zest and whisk in the eggs, one at a time. Mix the ground almonds and flour together.
- Add a handful to the butter and egg mixture and whisk, then beat in the remainder with a wooden spoon. Pile onto the pastry base and spread.
- Add the cherries evenly (but don't worry if they are on top of each other) and bake for 40-45 minutes, until set and pale golden. When cool, dust with sifted icing sugar. Serve with the cream or ice-cream.
Recently Played Tracks
To listen live, choose your preferred location:
Now playing: Non-stop hit music