A14 Upgrade Suspended
17 June 2010, 16:34
The Government has suspended plans to upgrade the A14 in Cambridgeshire.
A public inquiry into the £1.1 billion pound scheme had already been put on hold, now the scheme has been suspended altogether.
It's all part of Government plans to save money.
Plans included widening the road to six lanes between Ellington and Fen Ditton.
12 big national projects have been cancelled completely, with another 11 schemes put on hold.
Here is a list of the projects cancelled by the coalition Government as part of its review of all spending decisions taken since January 1.
The figures given are for the lifetime cost of the project.
- Stonehenge Visitor Centre (Department for Culture, Media and Sport) - £25 million.
- Local Authority Leader Boards (Communities and Local Government) - £16 million.
- Sheffield Forgemasters International Limited (Business Innovation and Skills) - £80 million.
- Rollout of the Future Jobs Fund (Department for Work and Pensions) - £290 million.
- Six-month offer recruitment subsidies (DWP) - £30 million.
- Extension of Young Person's Guarantee to 2011/12 (DWP) - £450 million.
- Two-year Jobseeker's Guarantee (DWP) - £515 million.
- Active Challenge Routes - Walk England (Department of Health) - £2 million.
- County Sports Partnerships (DoH) - £6 million.
- North Tees and Hartlepool Hospital (DoH) - £450 million.
- Local Government Local Authority Business Growth Initiative (LABGI) - £50 million.
- Outukumpu (Regional Development Agencies scheme) - £13 million.
Here are the projects that have been suspended:
- Libraries Modernisation Programme (DCMS) - £12 million.
- Sheffield Retail Quarter (CLG) - £12 million.
- Kent Thameside Strategic Transport Programme (CLG) - £23 million.
- University Enterprise Capital Fund (BIS) - £25 million.
- Newton Scholarships (BIS) - £25 million.
- Health Research Support Initiative (DoH) - £73 million.
- Leeds Holt Park Well-being Centre (DoH) - £50 million.
- Birmingham Magistrates' Court (Ministry of Justice) - £94 million.
- Successor Deterrent Extension to Concept Phase Long Lead Items (Ministry of Defence) - £66 million.
- Search and Rescue Helicopters (MoD element) - £4.7 billion.
- Search and Rescue Helicopters (Department for Transport element) - £2.3 billion.
- A14 road (DfT) - £1.1 billion.