Transport Secretary Says New Firm Will Design, Build And Operate Varsity Line
Arrests During Cambridge Protests
Pictures Of Cambridge Protests
See pictures of the English Defence League March and counter-protest in Cambridge.
Seven men were arrested during a protest by The English Defence League and counter-demonstration in Cambridge on Saturday.
More than 650 officers from six forces including Cambridgeshire, Warwickshire, Essex, MOD, City of London, Suffolk and Leicestershire, policed the demonstrations.
The day started with a counter-protest by Unite Against Facism and the Trade Union Council, followed by The English Defence League's march.
Seven men were arrested during the day.
- A 36-year-old man from Norwich arrested for being drunk and disorderly was released with no further action taken.
- A 48-year-old man from Colchester has been charged with a public order offence and assaulting a police officer.
- A 27-year-old man from Ely arrested on suspicion of a public order offence was released with no further action taken against him.
- An 18-year-old man from Peterborough was charged with a public order offence.
- A 51-year-old man from Luton has been charged with a public order offence.
- A 30-year-old man from Gillingham, Kent, arrested on suspicion of a public order offence and was issued with a fixed penalty notice and released.
- A 28-year-old man from Cambridge has been charged with a public order offence.
Inspector Robin Sissons said: "Cambridge residents are familiar with and generally supportive of protest activity and this was evident on Saturday.
Their tolerance combined with the joint operation by police and partner agencies meant the protests were largely peaceful with only minor disorder and some minor disruption to residents, visitors and businesses in the city.
The well-established community and partnership-based relationships were also particularly beneficial in planning for, and during, the operation.
It was heartening to hear that members of the community who reported tension before the protests, then praised the tone and nature of the policing operation after it was complete."
South Cambs MP Heidi Allen wants to be Mayor of Cambridgeshire & Peterborough.
Pair Bound And Locked Their Victims And Broke Teeth And A Toe During Burglary
Matthew Loder Jailed For 14 Years
Recently Played Tracks
On TV: Olly-Jolly Christ-murs
10pm - 11pm
Now playing: Non-stop hit music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.