Cambridge Restaurant Fined

12 November 2010, 12:12

The owners of a restaurant in Cambridge, that became infested with cockroaches, have been fined more than £8,000.

Charlie Chan, on Regent Street, was closed for three weeks after an inspection back in April.

Back then, officers from Cambridge City Council's food and occupational safety team found an infestation of cockroaches, which carry diseases like salmonella.

Now, Mr Peter Lee, food business operator of the restaurant, has pleaded guilty to two breaches of food hygiene regulations.

He has admitted  failing to ensure the premises were kept well maintained and not having effective pest control measures in place due to the layout and construction of the building.

Mr Lee has been fined £2,500 by Cambridge City Council for each offence, £3,038 costs and £15 victim surcharge.

Councillor Tim Bick, the Council’s Executive Councillor for Health and Community Development said: "Officers from the Food and Occupational Safety Team aim to work with businesses across the city to ensure food is safe to eat, without risk to public safety and that good hygiene practices are followed.

Unfortunately, there are cases such as this where prosecution is proportionate, necessary and in the public interest."

Scarlett Moffatt reveals who she would like to see

WATCH: Scarlett Moffat Reveals Who Is Her Top Pick To Star On I'm A Celeb!

Royal Family Christmas

THESE Are The Royal Family's Christmas Traditions You Had No Idea Existed!

Matthew and Renee Morrison

Glee's Matthew Morrison Welcomes First Baby With A Very Unusual Name

Gemma Collins Stage Dive This Morning

WATCH! Gemma Collins Explains That EPIC Stage Fall And We're STILL Laughing