On Air Now
Heart's Club Classics with Annaliese 7pm - 10pm
16 March 2011, 11:53
Two people have been shot dead at a travellers site near Newmarket.
Armed officers were called to the site in Beck Row at 10pm last night (Tuesday), after reports of gunfire being heard.
The site is close to one of the country's biggest military bases - RAF Mildenhall.
When officers arrived they also discovered a car fire at the entrance to the site.
They immediately saw a man on the ground who appeared to have been shot dead.
A second body was found in the burning car, and Police have confirmed both deaths are being treated as murder.
Investigators think the killings could be linked to a shooting incident on the same site, when a vehicle was shot at last month.
No one was hurt back then but a number of people were arrested.
Suffolk’s County Policing Commander, Chief Superintendent Stewart Gull, said: "We have arranged for extra patrols to be carried out by uniformed officers and our armed response vehicles around Beck Row and we are maintaining a high profile presence in the area.
Clearly, the investigation is at an early stage, but we believe the deaths are connected to an ongoing dispute.
I would urge anyone who has any information about this incident – or saw anything suspicious in the vicinity of Willow Park, to contact us immediately."
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Suffolk Police on 01473 613500.
MP for West Suffolk, Matthew Hancock, said: "Everyone will be shocked and deeply worried by these appalling and violent murders in Beck Row.
Having spoken to the police, I am reassured that the crimes will be fully investigated and everything will be done to ensure that the killers are pursued with the full force of the law and brought to justice”.
I have also brought the matter to the attention of the Prime Minister, who has joined me in publicly expressing his shock at such a terrible crime.
He gave his assurance to the House of Commons that everywhere in this country must be subject to the rule of law."