One of Cambridgeshire's oddest traditions gets under way this morning...
Cambridgeshire: Flood Alerts and Warnings
The Environment Agency has issued flood alerts and warnings for Cambridgeshire, due to a combination of heavy rainfall and the melting of last week's snow.
There is a 'flood warning' for the following areas-which means flooding is likely:
North Bank Road alongside the River Nene to the east of Peterborough and both East and West of the Dog-in-a-Doublet Sluice
There is a 'flood alert' for the following areas - which means flooding is possible:
Lower Welland and other watercourses from Stamford to Spalding, including Market Deeping and Spalding
Hundred Foot Washes, also known as the Ouse Washes, including the causeways at Earith, Sutton Gault and Welney
River Great Ouse from Wyboston in Bedfordshire through St Neots, Offord and St Ives to Earith in Cambridgeshire
Areas of Newmarket at risk of groundwater flooding including High Street
Check the Environment Agency website for the latest information here
The Environment Agency information for those at risk of flooding:
- Act now to protect yourself and your property.
- If it's safe to do so, block doors with flood boards or sandbags and cover airbricks and other ventilation holes.
- If you are caught in a flash flood, get to higher ground. Stay away from flood water and don't take risks.
- Move family, pets and valuables to a safe place.
- Keep a flood kit ready including a torch, batteries, fully charged mobile phone, warm clothes, water, food and any prescription medicines you may need.
- If it's safe, make sure your neighbours are aware of the situation and offer help to anyone who may need it.
- Avoid walking, cycling or driving through flood water.
- Turn off gas, electricity and water if your property is about to flood. Never touch an electrical switch if you are standing in water.
- Call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for up-to-date flooding information.
- Keep an eye on local water levels and weather conditions.
The first rail freight service from the UK to China has arrived.
Students From Cambridgeshire and Northants Have Competed In STEM Competition
Adam Mudd Was 16 When He Began His Cyber Attacks
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: The best feel good music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.