Step Into Christmas Elton John
19 July 2013, 14:34
A warning, to residents living near The Grafham Water Treatment Works, to stay indoors following a chlorine leak has been lifted, after the gas was safely dispersed.
Residents in the immediate vicinity of The Grafham Water Treatment Works facility were urged to stay indoors this morning as a precaution after a small amount of the gas was found to have leaked.
The gas was contained inside a building, however was dispersed in a controlled release by the Fire Service and Anglian Water.
The precautionary measures have now been lifted and people are free to go about their usual business.
Chief Inspector Mike Hills said: "We put out the advice as a precaution following the leak of a very small amount of gas. The leak was contained to the building but it was necessary for us to release it into the atmosphere in a controlled process.
"The risk to the public was minimal throughout that process, however we felt it necessary to take the maximum precautions to ensure the public were protected.
"We would like to thank residents and visitors to the area for their cooperation and apologise for any inconvenience caused."