Cambridgeshire Heat Warning
The Met Office has issued a heatwave warning for Cambridgeshire this morning as temperatures are expected to hit 30C (86F) later and tonight it won't drop below 16C (61F).
Babies, young children and the elderly are most at risk.
Here are Heart's top tips for keeping cool and staying safe in the heat:
Before a heatwave
- Ensure you have plenty of cold fluids available.
During a heatwave
- Try to keep your house cool, closing blinds or curtains can help.
- At night, keep your sleeping area well ventilated. Night cooling is important as it allows the body to recuperate.
- Try to stay cool by taking cool showers or baths and/or sprinkle yourself several times a day with cold water.
- Avoid too much exercise, which can cause heat exhaustion or heat stroke, and can even be fatal. Watch for signs of heat stress — an early sign is fatigue.
- Drink plenty of fluids, but not alcohol, which dehydrates the body.
- Try to eat as you normally would. Not eating properly may exacerbate health-related problems.
- If driving, keep your vehicle well ventilated to avoid drowsiness. Take plenty of water with you and have regular rest breaks.
- If you have elderly neighbours who may be at risk during a heatwave, try to visit them daily.
- If you do go out, try and avoid the hottest part of the day (11 a.m. to 3 p.m.) and seek shade where possible. Avoid being in the sun for long stretches.
Before going out in the sun
- Check you have appropriate sun cream for your particular type of skin.
During sunny weather
- The UV index (the strength of the sun) can be high at many times of the year — it doesn't have to be hot. The UV index can be strong through cloud even when the sun isn't directly shining.
- If you go out, wear lightweight, light-coloured clothing, high factor sunscreen and a wide-brimmed hat.
- Avoid being in the sun for long stretches.
- Reapply an appropriate factor sun cream at regular intervals during the day.
Do not leave children or animals in parked cars. Even on cool days, strong sunshine can make car interiors very hot.
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: Non-stop hit music