South Cambridgeshire: Development Plan
12 July 2012, 06:00
People can now comment on plans for thousands of new jobs and homes in South Cambridgeshire.
The proposals for up to 9,300 new homes and up to 30,000 new jobs are part of South Cambridgeshire District Council's plans for how the area will change during the next 20 years.
The idea is to make sure new homes, jobs and services are placed in the 'most sustainable' locations.
A public consultation into the plans runs from now until the 28th September.
The new homes and services are in addition to around 10,000 new houses that are planned for the new eco-town development of Northstowe [artist's impression - top right], which is expected to be built on Oakington Airfield.
The consultation will ask residents about the number of new jobs that should be planned for over the next two decades - 14,000 (700 per year), 23,100 (1,200 per year), or 29,200 (1,500 per year).
To support the new jobs, there will also be three suggested options for the number of additional new homes needed - 4,300, 7,300, or 9,300.
Councillor Pippa Corney, South Cambridgeshire District Council's cabinet member for planning policy and localism, said: "This consultation is an important opportunity for our communities and businesses to influence how the area should develop over the next 20 years.
I would strongly encourage everyone to visit one of our events to have a look at the proposals, speak to planning officers and submit their ideas and comments to the Council.
All comments will be considered and will help refine the plan, which is intended to deliver sustainable development whilst also reflecting the needs of local communities."
Consultation events, where people can question council officers about the proposals, will take place between 3pm and 8pm on the following dates:
- 17 July at Sawston Spicers Pavilion
- 18 July at Barton Sports and Social Pavilion
- 19 July at Cambourne Business Park Marketing Office
- 23 July at Milton Primary School
- 24 July at The Swifts, Fulbourn
- 25 July at Bassingbourn Village College
- 26 July at Waterbeach Primary School
- 3 September at Longstanton Village Institute
- 4 September at Gamlingay Village college
- 5 September at Great Shelford Memorial Hall
- 10 September at All Saints Church Hall, Cottenham
- 12 September at Linton Village College1
- 4 September at Histon & Impington Recreation Ground Centre.