Warning After Student Fire

A student halls of residence in Cambridge had to be evacuated after a fire which was started by a pair of hair straighteners.

The Fire Service was called to the fire at Newnham College in Sidgwick Avenue at 8:25pm last night.

Five crews and a rescue vehicle were sent to deal with the fire.

Firefighters arrived at the scene to discover that some students had not evacuated the building, and had to go inside to get them out.

Once inside, a crew found a well developed fire in a room.

It was caused by a pair of hair straighteners which had been left turned on underneath a pile of clothes.

Steve Duffy, watch manager at Cambridge Fire Station, said: "Hair straighteners reach extremely high temperatures and can start a fire easily if placed on flammable surfaces like carpet.

Always double check that you have turned them off properly and ensure that you place them onto a heat resistant surface while they cool down ."

Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Simon Beale

1am - 4am

Email the show

Text 'HEART' to 82122

Simon Beale

On TV: 2000s: The Quiz

2am - 4am

Watch heart TV

  • Mike Posner IBIZA (SEEB REMIX)

    02:44

    iTunes

  • Calvin Harris feat. Rihanna This Is What You Came For

    02:40

    iTunes

  • Zara Larsson LUSH LIFE

    02:37

    iTunes

  • Justin Bieber Love Yourself

    02:28

    iTunes

More On Heart