Cambridge Fire Started By Candle Commemorating WW1

Fire crews were called to a blaze in Cambridge started by a candle lit to commemorate the beginning of the First World War.

It is believed the candle was lit as part of the Lights Out event which encouraged people to turn off their lights for an hour until 11pm on Monday - the time war was declared in 1914.

Firefighters were called to the property in Whitehill Road, Cambridge.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: ``The occupant of the first-floor flat was out of the building before crews arrived.

``Firefighters had to force entry to a ground-floor flat and led a resident to safety.''

A fire investigation found the most likely cause of the fire was an accident, due to the lit candle being left on a windowsill and spreading to curtains, which then developed and spread through the property.

Recently Played Tracks

To listen live, choose your preferred location:

Go

On TV: 26 Greatest Movie Songs

9pm - 11pm

Watch heart TV

  • Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes (I've Had) The Time Of My Life

    Now

    iTunes

  • Pharrell Williams Happy

    22:35

    iTunes

  • Adele Skyfall

    22:32

    iTunes

  • Righteous Brothers Unchained Melody

    22:29

    iTunes

Heart VIP

Local

Autumn Weather

Find your local four day weather report here.

Listening To Radio Win With Heart

Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.

Follow Heart Cambridgeshire on Twitter