Sawston Man Banned From Football Matches
30 May 2015, 06:15
A man who abused a steward at a Cambridge United match has been handed a three-year banning order.
Paul Story, 50, of Evans Way, Sawston, was found guilty last month of an offence under Section 4 of the Public Order Act at Cambridge Magistrates' Court.
The court heard the incident happened at the home FA Cup match against Mansfield on December 6 last year.
Story was abusive and threatening to a steward, who had repeatedly asked him to stop standing in an area that had to be kept clear for health and safety reasons.
Story threatened to assault the steward and the court heard that children were within hearing distance.
Earlier this week Story was told to pay more than £1000 (comprising a fine, court costs and compensation) and given the order, which bans him from attending any regulated football match within the UK or travelling to any international games.
Inspector Steve Kerridge said: "Football banning orders are not applied for arbitrarily and an application will only be made after careful consideration and where proportionate.
"Paul Story has been a consistent feature this season in organised activity by risk supporters.
"The decision by magistrates to impose an order in this case is a welcome one in the interests of safe and uninterrupted enjoyment of local football."