Council Says Work Is Only A Precaution
Two Dishwasher Fires In Cambridge
We're being urged to check our dishwashers after two caught fire in Cambridge.
The first happened at a property in St Andrews Way in Impington on Monday evening, and the second a few hours later in Granchester Meadows.
Cambridgeshire's Fire Service has now been called out to six fires involving dishwashers in the last five months.
Station Commander Dave Allen said: "Like a car, electrical appliances need to be regularly checked so any possible defects can be spotted early, such as black burning marks around the plug, loose cables or any snags in the casing exposing wires. If you see anything like this you should stop using your dishwasher and get it checked out.
"We also advise not using dishwashers when you are sleeping or if you leave the house as any fire will take longer to discover and damage will be greater. We also advise this for washing machines and tumble dryers."
He added: "It is also a good reminder for people to check their smoke alarms are working by pressing the test button. Smoke alarms won't prevent a fire from happening but if you have one they will give you an early warning, enabling you to get out safely, close the doors and hopefully minimise the damage. If you don't have any smoke alarms, it is important you get one fitted on each level of your home."
Further safety advice can be found here .
Stephen James Was More Than Twice Over The Limit
A plant housed in Cambridge, that smells of rotting flesh, is about to flower for the first time since 2005.
Here are the local people honoured by the Queen
Recently Played Tracks
To listen live, choose your preferred station:
Now playing: The best feel good music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.