Man Sentenced To Life For Truro Acid Attack

9 October 2015, 18:26

In a case of mistaken identity father of one Andreas Christopheros has been left blind and disfigured

The incident took place in Carrine Road, Truro on Tuesday 9th December 2014 following reports that a corrosive substance had been thrown in a man's face. 

Andreas Christopheros, who was 29 at the time, was attacked in his own home at around 4pm. 

The police, ambulance and fire service attended the scene, making door to door enquiries and making sure the area was safe from any chemicals. 

49 year old David Phillips (pictured), of Barley Lane, Hastings, East Sussex, pleaded guilty to assault causing grievous bodily harm with intent at Truro Crown Court on Monday 28 September. 

This afternoon, Truro Crown Court sentenced Phillips to life imprisonment, to serve a minimum of 7 years.

Mr Christopheros was initially taken to the Royal Cornwall Hospital, Treliske, with life-threatening facial injuries caused by the sulphuric acid, and was later transferred to a specialist unit for further treatment. 

Superintendent Dave Thorne, Senior Investigating Officer, said: ''This is an extremely tragic set of circumstances which has led to life-changing injuries to a completely innocent man.'' 

''Andreas Christopheros has been left blind in one eye, partially sighted in the other and with extremely painful and disfiguring injuries to his face, arms and body.'' 

''David Phillips was ill-informed and ill-prepared for his plan of attack - not only did he get the wrong person, he got the wrong address.'' 

''This has been an extremely intense and diverse investigation where endless potential motives have been investigated exhaustively. It has only been through these hours of diligent and lengthy investigative activity that the truth of the attack has been revealed.'' 

''I would like to thank the Christopheros family for their co-operation and patience with the police. This has been a painful and hurtful journey they have had to go through and the impact on all their lives cannot be underestimated.'' 

''I would also like to thank the prosecution team and the officers working on the case. They have shown their commitment and dedication by consistently working long hours since last December. It is only as a result of their hard work that we have managed to achieve the guilty plea,'' Supt Thorne added. 

David Phillips was arrested on Friday 12 December 2014 in Sussex, along with a 16-year-old boy who was later released with no further action being taken against him. 

In April 2015, Nicole Phillips, 45, also of Barley Lane, Hastings, East Sussex, was arrested and charged with perverting the course of justice, however no further action was taken against her.