Devon and Cornwall police have issued a statement following the terror attack in London.
Son Died From Meningitis Days Before Wedding
A mum whose son died of meningitis days before his wedding has launched an awareness drive in St Austell so no others lose a loved one to the devastating disease.
38 year old Shane White, was two weeks away from marrying Kerran Parish when he fell victim to the deadly disease on Saturday, March 31, last year.
The Lostwithiel resident complained of a stomach ache and sore throat for a couple of days beforehand. Shane went to the doctors on Friday, March 30, for his vaccinations for his honeymoon, but the nurse refused to administer them as she feared he had a virus.
But at home, Shane, who was manager at Bodmin-based food company Tulip Foods for 16 years, became disorientated in the evening and his condition deteriorated quickly. He was unable to communicate with paramedics and was rushed to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth at around midnight.
Sadly, Shane, a former Lostwithiel Primary School and Fowey Community College student, died just eight hours later in the morning.
Since his death, the family have become devoted to wiping out the disease, to spare others the pain of losing a loved one or watching them suffer side-effects due to meningitis.
The family, driven by mum Ros, of St Blazey, Par, and friends began a fundraising campaign for Meningitis UK.
Heart's Karly Wilson spoke to her at the launch of a week long awareness camapign in St Austell. Click Here
- Meningitis can kill in four hours.
- Classic symptoms include a headache, stiff neck and a dislike of bright light. Symptoms of septicaemia (blood poisoning) include leg pain, cold hands and feet, and a rash.
- Around 3,400 people contract bacterial meningitis and septicaemia in the UK each year. 1 in 10 people die and 1 in 4 are left with permanent disabilities such as limb loss, blindness, deafness or brain damage.
- Babies, children under 5 years, young people aged 14-24 and the elderly are most at risk.
- Every week, six families face the traumatic loss of a loved one to meningitis. In the past 20 years, vaccines have been developed to protect against Hib,
- Meningitis C and Pneumococcal Meningitis but people still aren't fully protected against all forms. It is important to trust your instincts. If you suspect something is wrong, seek medical help immediately.
Talking to children about the terror attack in London
Dr Jonathan Walsh pleaded guilty to 17 charges of possessing, distributing and making indecent images of children
Parents across Devon and Cornwall asked to join the fight against Child Sexual Exploitation
Most Viewed Pictures On Heart
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: Non-stop hit music
Now playing: Non-stop hit music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Check all the latest reports round Cornwall
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.