61-year-old Guy Hedger was shot dead when intruders raided his house in Castlewood near Ringwood.
£2.75Million To Tackle Potholes
Dorset County Council has been using an extra £2.75m from the Government to resurface streets blighted by potholes and other damage following two freezing cold winters.
In April, the county council received its share of a national fund to combat Britain's pothole epidemic following freezing weather which caused some roads to deteriorate very rapidly.
Dorset Highways, the county council's roads and transport service, has been out in force using this extra cash to repair winter damage to streets and roads across Dorset.
Streets in numerous towns and villages have been repaired as part of this ongoing programme, with a total of 20km (12.4 miles) of road resurfaced to date (approximately 123,000 square metres of coverage) and a further 11km (6.8 miles) of road still to be done.
In addition to these extra funds, the county council itself has also invested especially in tackling clusters of potholes and other defects on lower category roads with more long-lasting resurfacing rather than simply patching up holes.
Cabinet member for transport Peter Finney said:
"This national funding has provided us with a unique opportunity to deal with these road faults in one go. Rather than merely patching potholes, which could recur again next winter, the county council is taking a more long-lasting approach by resurfacing areas where there are clusters of defects.
"We realise the work may cause short-term disruption but I am confident residents will appreciate the long-term advantage it will bring."
The roads resurfaced so far are as follows:
- North Road, Sherborne
- Kings Road, Sherborne
- Wootton Grove, Sherborne
- Simons Road, Sherborne
- The Avenue, Sherborne
- Hound Street, Sherborne
- Ludbourne Road, Sherborne
- B3070 West Lulworth
- A37 Grimstone
- Randalls Hill, Lytchett Minster
- B3075 Quarr Hill, Morden
- Cowleaze Road, Broadmayne
- Avenue Road, West Moors
- Wimborne Road, Corfe Mullen
- Hawkesdene Lane, Shaftesbury
- Bimport, Shaftesbury
- Bleke Street/New Road, Shaftesbury
- Coppice Street, Shaftesbury
- Long Lane/Sandquarry Lane, Bourton
- The Grange, Furzehill, Wimborne
- Hardy Avenue, Weymouth
- Skilling Hill Road, Bridport
- B3078 Horton Inn to Cranborne Road
- Damers Road, Dorchester
- Baynards Road, Dorchester
- Cambridge Road, Dorchester
- Blagdon Road, Dorchester
- Queens Avenue, Dorchester
- Clarence Road, Dorchester
- Monmouth Road, Dorchester
- Culliford Road South, Dorchester
- Rothesay Road, Dorchester
- Ackerman Road, Dorchester
- Linden Avenue, Dorchester
- Mellstock Avenue, Dorchester
- Egdon Road, Dorchester
- North Square, Dorchester
- Orchard Street, Dorchester
- Oborne Road, Sherborne
- Hardings Lane, Gillingham
- Wareham Road, Lytchett Matravers
- Cranborne Village
- Langton Long, Blandford
- Road from Lower Lewell Farm near West Stafford to Crossways
- West Stafford, under the railway bridge
- Martinstown to Monkeys Jump roundabout
- Winfrith Newburgh village
- Sandy Lane, Colehill, Wimborne
- Lecher Lane, South Perrott
- Thornford Road, Yetminster
- Dudsbury Crescent, Ferndown
- Cherry Orchard Lane, Gillingham
- The Glebe, Iwerne Minster
- B3143 Buckland Newton
- Camesworth Lane, Oxbridge
- B3157 Abbotsbury
In addition, resurfacing of the following roads is either in progress or still to be done:
- St Johns Hill, Wimborne
- A354 Fortuneswell, Portland
- Sweethill Lane, Portland
- Sweethill Road, Portland
- Nottington Lane, Weymouth
- Greenhill, Weymouth
- B3143 Piddle Valley
- A30 Sherborne Causeway
- B3081 Sixpenny Handley
- C2 Larmer Tree
- Sackmore Lane, Marnhull
You can report a pothole or other problem on a road, street or pavement by calling Dorset Highways on (01305) 221020 or going to http://www.dorsetforyou.com/reportroadproblems
29-Year-Old In Life Threatening Condition.
Pair Due In Court Over Investigation Into An Allegation Of Modern Day Slavery.
A massive Olly Murs concert in Bournemouth has been cancelled after the organisers went into liquidation.
Recently Played Tracks
On Radio: Rich and Zoe
6am - 10am
Text 'SOUTH' to 82122
Now playing: The best feel good music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.