Firm Fined Over Asbestos Exposure

A decorating company has been fined after it exposed employees, agency staff and members of the public to potentially fatal asbestos material.

It happened during a refurbishment project at offices in Sentinel House, Nuffield Industrial Estate in Poole over a period of several weeks in 2009.

Bournemouth Crown Court heard that MJC Decorating and Refurbishing Ltd began removing ceilings at the two-story block without carrying out a suitable survey in advance to determine whether asbestos was present.

A visit to the site by an HSE inspector revealed widespread contamination and spread of asbestos both inside and outside the building. Investigations revealed that some material removed from the site as non-hazardous may have included asbestos-containing materials.

As a result, four employees and 14 agency staff working under the control of MJC, were exposed to asbestos dust and fibres that can cause respiratory problems and even incurable lung diseases.

MJC workers carried out the removal of asbestos insulation board ceiling over two weeks while wearing normal work clothes that became contaminated with asbestos fibres. This may have led to the exposure of many more members of the public during their journey to and from the site over this two week period.

MJC Decorating and Refurbishing Ltd, of London Road, North Cheam, Sutton, Surrey, pleaded guilty to three breaches of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006. It was fined a total of £45,000 and ordered to pay £36,943 in costs.

Loose Women Male Stars Nude Campaign

TV's Biggest Hunks Rival Loose Women's Cheeky Body Confidence Campaign

Benedict Cumberbatch thinking emoji

Viewers Were Baffled By Benedict Cumberbatch's BBC Drama

Nick Knowles is releasing an album

Nick Knowles Is Releasing An Album And We Were Not Expecting This

Jessica Ennis Second Child Asset

Jessica Ennis Welcomes Her Second Child And The Name Is Adorable!