Mum And Baby Escape Fire In Poole

At 11am on 26th Nov, crews from Poole, Redhill Park and Westbourne (approx 15 firefighters) were called to a fire in Oakdale Road, Poole.

It had broken out on the ground floor, and was quickly put out by firecrews.

Station Manager Clem Stanley  said:

"We believe the cause of this fire to have been a candle left on a windowsill, this then set light to the curtains.

"The resident was able to escape the flat with her young baby and these quick actions undoubtedly saved their lives.

"We always remind the public to get out, stay out and call 999 which is exactly what happened in this case.

"If the occupier had also had the opportunity to close the internal doors, the damage in the flat would have been greatly reduced.

"Candles can be really nice to ignite indoors but they should never be left unattended, and always kept away from flammable
materials.

"Finally, if you are going to bed or leaving the house please don't forget to make sure they are fully extinguished."

The flat had significant smoke damage and the bedroom where the fire started has been badly damaged too. She and her baby were taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

Oakdale Road fire

Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Margherita Taylor

9am - 12pm

Email the show

Margherita Taylor

On TV: Feel-Good Christmas!

10am - 11am

Watch heart TV

  • Bon Jovi Please Come Home For Christmas

    Now

    iTunes

  • Paul McCartney Wonderful Christmastime

    10:18

    iTunes

  • Wham! Last Christmas

    10:14

    iTunes

  • Tom Jones & Cerys Matthews Baby It's Cold Outside

    10:07

    iTunes

Heart VIP

Local

Autumn Weather

Find your local four day weather report here.

Listening To Radio Win With Heart

Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.

Advertise Advertise in Dorset

Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.

Follow Heart on Twitter