Two In Hospital As Gas Explosion Destroys Tent

Two people have been taken to hospital in Dorset after a gas canister exploded and set their tent on fire.

A statement from Dorset Fire and Rescue said:

At approximately 6.30pm on Tuesday 4th September 2012, Dorset Fire and Rescue Service were called to a small fire at a campsite in Langton Matravers. A crew from Swanage attended, but a fire in a tent had been extinguished prior to the arrival of the Service.

It is believed the fire was caused by the small explosion of a leaking gas canister used for cooking.

Two adults were taken to hospital by the ambulance service following this incident in Langton Matravers. The tent was completely destroyed by the fire.

This is the second incident involving leaking gas canisters that the service has attended over the last week, following an incident in Butts Close, Puddletown last week.

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service has the following advice for cooking outdoors using gas:

-always check your gas connections with a leak detecting solution before you start cooking

-pay attention to the proximity of flammable materials to your barbecue do not cook too closely to combustibles

-always make sure your cooking appliance if completely turned off and cooled down before packing it away.


Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Warren Hayden

12pm - 4pm

Email the show

Text 82122

Warren Hayden

On TV: Heart's Feel Good 50

1pm - 4pm

Watch heart TV

  • Wham! , George Michael Wake Me Up Before You Go Go



  • Dario G Sunchyme



  • Bruno Mars Just The Way You Are



  • Debarge Rhythm Of The Night



Heart VIP


Autumn Weather

Find your local four day weather report here.

Listening To Radio Win With Heart

Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.

Advertise Advertise in Dorset

Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.

Follow Heart on Twitter