Warning After Dishwasher Fire

Dorset Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to ensure that they have working smoke alarms after a fire in a dishwasher in a house in Poole.

The fire broke out in the kitchen of the detached property in Dorchester Road shortly before midday on Saturday (30.07.11) causing 100% smoke and heat damage to the kitchen and severe smoke damage to the ground and remaining floors.

The fire was caused by a faulty component in the Bosch appliance - which the manufacturers had recalled earlier this year, sending fault notice letters to all owners who they had on their files.

Fire Investigation Officer, Andy Fox, said: "Following the investigation into this fire, it has come to light that this dishwasher was subject to a recall notice. Therefore people with Bosch dishwashers should check the website for more information and advice. The worrying thing is that if this had happened in the middle of the night and not in the middle of the day, the occupants would have had no warning whatsoever that a fire was developing below them. This could easily have led to much more serious situation.

"Working smoke alarms would not have prevented the fire from starting - but it would have warned them that it was happening - easily the difference between life and death."

Bosch say the affected dishwashers are in the batch number range from FD 7901 to FD 8504 - other models aren't affected.

Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Club Classics with Mark Wright

7pm - 9pm

Email the show

Text 'HEART' to 82122

Club Classics with Mark Wright

On TV: Christmas Hits: Guess The Year

7pm - 9pm

Watch heart TV

Heart VIP

Local

Autumn Weather

Find your local four day weather report here.

Listening To Radio Win With Heart

Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.

Advertise Advertise in Dorset

Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.

Follow Heart on Twitter