A quarter of head office staff to lose their jobs
6 Men Jailed For Football Violence
Six people were jailed yesterday (Friday September 23rd) for their part the the violence that erupted during a pitch invasion by fans at Luton Town's home game against York in May 2010.
Sentencing them Judge Michael Baker QC said Luton's bad name in football circles was partly down to them and others like them who had behaved in such an appalling fashion that day.
He told them they were all old enough to know that they should have set a better example in front of youngsters who were at the game.
And to two of the men standing in the dock who were in their 40s he said "You should be ashamed of what you have done."
Altogether thirty seven people were arrested after the incident on May 3, 2010. eight people received cautions for affray and 15 teenagers received final warnings.
Today eight people appeared at Luton crown court to be sentenced for their part in the violence that day having been charged with affray
Kieran GAVIGAN, 27, of Churchill Road, Leighton Buzzard who pleaded guilty was sentenced to 7 months imprisonment and handed a 6 year football banning order.
He was identified through the release of CCTV to the media.
Michael HOWE, 44, of Dellfield, St Albans was found guilty after a trial at Luton Crown Court last month and was sentenced to a total of 13 months imprisonment and handed a 6 year football banning order.
Ben BUTLER, 20, of St Andrews Close, Flitwick who pleaded guilty was sentenced to 9 months imprisonment suspended for 18 months, and ordered to do 250 hours of unpaid work. He was handed a 5 year football banning order.
Ryan DOWNEY, 24, of Julius Gardens, Luton who pleaded guilty to affray was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment and handed a 6 year football banning order.
Ashley McCHESNEY, 20, of Buckfield Avenue, Dunstable who pleaded guilty was sentenced to 9 months in a young offenders institute plus a further two months for breach of a previous order and handed a 6 year football banning order.
Jamie SALES, 26, of Russet Way, Dunstable was found guilty after a trial at Luton Crown Court in August and was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment and handed a 6 year football banning order.
Stewart FARQUHARSON, 45, of Grove Road who pleaded guilty was sentenced to 9 months imprisonment and handed a 6 year banning order.
Jordan SHEPHERD, 27, of Green Farm Lane, Barrow, Suffolk who pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 5 months imprisonment suspended for 18 months, given 250 hours of unpaid work and handed a 5 year banning order. He was also identified through the release of CCTV to the media.
Superintendent David Boyle, based at Luton Police Station, said: "Bedfordshire Police will not tolerate this kind of behaviour. The game of football is a sport that families should be able to enjoy in safety. I hope the sentencing results today show that Bedfordshire Police will use all methods available to them to bring anyone who breaks the law to justice."
World biggest 50m deep training pool to be created
Head Injuries Mr Huggins Suffered Described In Court As Catastrophic
Events across the weekend to celebrate the work of our Armed Forces
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: The best feel good music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.