The first of the 66 Crossrail trains is in operation from today running on the TFL route between Liverpool Street and Shenfield.
Essex Police Cuts Revealed
Government cuts means Essex will lose around one in ten officers as the force tries to save £41million by 2014.
In real terms that means a reduction of around 388 police officers (saving £17million) as well as around 100 fewer PCSOs and about 600 fewer police staff (together saving around £14million).
A further £10million will be saved from other non-pay costs including uniform and transport.
With a future budget of £228million a year, the force plans to improve productivity and increase availability whilst delivering a high standard of policing.
Among the changes:
- More flexible policing by removing traditional boundaries allowing the nearest response car to get to an emergency call.
- New investigation teams will deal with cases leaving response officers to deal solely with responding to emergencies.
- More local neighbourhood officers. Numbers will rise by 55 from 472 currently to 527 by 2014.
- The creation of a new 'community safety unit' in each district.
- A review of front counter services means we'll see a reduction in opening times for you to pop into your local station to report crimes - there is also a 'high' chance some will have to close.
Technology is also expected to play a big part in how the force moves forward - so we could very well see officers on the beat with something like an i-Pad in future!
Chief Constable Jim Barker-McCardle has told Heart: "These are the most significant changes to policing in peacetime. Essex is one of the safest counties in the country and we want to keep it that way, but budget cuts mean there has to be substantial reorganisation in the force."
A crackdown, aimed at tackling online child abuse in Essex has seen more than 40 people arrested in the last six months.
After appearing on TV, the family of missing Clacton man, Nigel Kedar, have issued an appeal.
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: The best feel good music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.