15 year-old boy has been charged with the manslaughter of Polish man Arkadiusz Jozwik
Essex Police Reveal More Money-Saving Plans
Plans to close nearly half of police front counter services in Essex have been revealed.
If agreed, it would mean some people wouldn't be able to go into local police stations to report crime.
It would also mean some of the 170 police front counter staff would face job cuts.
The 21 sites at risk include:
- West Mersea - Colchester district
- Wivenhoe – Colchester district
- Copford – Colchester district
- Ipswich Road – Colchester district
- Mistley – Tendring district
- Brightlingsea – Tendring district
- Walton – Tendring district
- Thorpe-le-Soken – Tendring district
- Great Yeldham – Braintree district
- Stansted Mountfitchet – Uttlesford district
- Hatfield Heath – Uttlesford district
- Moulsham Lodge – Chelmsford district
- Leigh – Southend unitary authority
- Shoebury – Southend unitary authority
- Rochford – Rochford district
- South Benfleet – Castle Point district
- Corringham – Thurrock unitary authority
- Wickford – Basildon district
- Laindon – Basildon district
- Waltham Abbey – Epping Forest district
- Ongar – Epping Forest district
In addition 25 other police front counters in the county would see a reduction in opening times under the plans revealed on Tuesday 23 August.
Essex Police is having to save £41 million from the budget over the next few years because of Government spending cuts.
Chief Constable Jim Barker-McCardle told Heart: "It's about flexibility and being more accessible to the public.
"These plans follow on from an online and face-to-face public survey with people across Essex."
A consultation with police staff is now underway with a decision expected later this year.
Drivers in Essex are being urged to slow down when it's raining - after 5 deaths and 69 serious injuries on the county's roads in the last year.
A new service is now available in Essex, providing a single point of contact for victims and survivors of sexual violence and child sexual abuse.
More than 100 people have lost their lives through suicide in prisons in England and Wales so far this year - nine at Chelmsford Prison.
Recently Played Tracks
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.