On Air Now
Heart's Club Classics with Annaliese 7pm - 10pm
25 January 2011, 16:16
An Essex-based soldier's been killed in a blast in Afghanistan.
The Ministry of Defence say the soldier, from 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment based in Colchester, had been deployed on an operation in the Nahr-e Saraj district to provide security to the local population.
He was killed by an explosion earlier today (Tuesday 25 January 2011).
His family have been told.
Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel David Eastman, said:
"Sadly, I must report the loss of a soldier from 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment this morning. The soldier was assisting in the clearance of an area to the south of Nahr-e Saraj in order to provide a safe and secure environment for the local population when he was hit by an explosion.
"He has given his life in the service of others, fighting oppression and intimidation - no more could be asked of any soldier. Our thoughts are with his friends and family at this deeply sad time. He will not be forgotten."