Proposals for a new multi-million pound widening project on the A12 have gone on show.
Everything You Need To Know About Dart Charge
Dart Charge is a massive change to how people use the Dartford Crossing. Check out our guide to the most frequent questions about the new system.
When will the new payment arrangements be introduced?
Dart Charge will be introduced at 6am on Sunday 30th November 2014.
Why are the changes being made?
Removing the need to stop and pay at the barriers will ease congestion and speed up journeys for everyone.
How will I pay?
From 30th November you will be able to make one-off payments:
- online at www.gov.uk/dart-charge
- by phone on 0300 300 0120
- by post to PO Box 842, Leeds, LS1 9QF.
- at one of thousands of Payzone retail outlets
- Alternatively, you can set up a pre-pay account now and receive savings of up to one-third on every crossing made during the charging hours (6am – 10pm) from 30th November.
How can I set up a pre-pay account?
Online at www.gov.uk/dart-charge
Over the phone on 0300 300 0120
By post. Call the number above and you'll be sent a registration form.
What happens if I already have an account with DART-Tag?
There is no need to set up a new account –you should have already received personalised instructions to tell you how you can transfer to Dart Charge. If you have not received these call 0300 300 0120.
I don’t want an account, when can I pay for an individual crossing?
You will be able to make one-off payments from the 30 November; the day the new charging services go live.
When do I need to pay the charge?
The charging hours are between 6am -10pm every day. It will still be free to use the Crossing between 10pm and 6am.
If you don’t set up a Dart Charge account you will need to pay the charge in advance or by midnight the following day for every crossing you make within the charging hours (6am – 10pm) after the 30 November.
What happens if I don’t pay?
If you do not pay by midnight on the day after your crossing, you will face a penalty.
Where can I find further information?
Further information and answers to frequently asked questions can be found at www.gov.uk/highways/dartford and everyone can subscribe to receive updates via this page.
Dart Charge In Numbers
- 50 million – number of journeys made at the crossing each year – around 135,000 per day
- 177,614 – vehicles registered with Dart Charge with one week to go until go live
- 29% of accounts opened using a tablet or smartphone
- 6 minutes and 42 seconds – average time taken to open an account
- 86 – countries where registrations have come – about 3% of total accounts and about the same proportion foreign vehicles using the crossing each day. Most visitors are from Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Poland, Italy, Ireland and the Czech Republic
Two men have been jailed for a total of 40 years after an aggravated burglary in Essex, where a man was shot.
Anyone with information about an assault on a man in Chelmsford a month ago, which left him with serious head injuries, is being asked to come forward.
Essex's PCC is proposing a 3.25% increase in the Essex Police part of Council Tax.
Recently Played Tracks
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.