15 year-old boy has been charged with the manslaughter of Polish man Arkadiusz Jozwik
Great Bromley: Man Homeless Following Fire
A man has been left homeless after a fire destroyed his house near Colchester.
Firefighters were called to the property on Frating Road in Great Bromley at about 15.15 yesterday (Thursday May 9th) to find the ground floor of the semi-detached house well alight.
The 46-year-old was given oxygen after suffering breathing difficulties from the fire.
A joint operation between Essex Fire and Rescue Service and Essex Police will be carried out to find out how the fire started.
The property had a smoke alarm but no working batteries.
"It's all very well getting a smoke alarm installed but unless you test it regularly and ensure its fully functioning and batteries are changed regularly, then it is not going to alert you to danger in the event of fire," said Assistant Divisional Officer Pete Bennett.
"We recommend testing your alarm part of household routine - that way it can be relied on as a potentially life saving device."
Drivers in Essex are being urged to slow down when it's raining - after 5 deaths and 69 serious injuries on the county's roads in the last year.
A new service is now available in Essex, providing a single point of contact for victims and survivors of sexual violence and child sexual abuse.
More than 100 people have lost their lives through suicide in prisons in England and Wales so far this year - nine at Chelmsford Prison.
Recently Played Tracks
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.