Man Suffers Burns After Chip Pan Fire In Colchester

A man has been taken to hospital with burns to both arms after a chip pan fire in Colchester.

fire engine

Two fire crews were called to Ashdown Way at 3:18pm yesterday after the man, in his 30s, had thrown water onto flaming hot oil.

It was the second chip pan fire in the county in as many hours; crews were called to another one in Homestead Road in Ramsden Bellhouse.

The fire there was out on arrival and crews carried out safety checks.

Sub Officer Mark Elsey said: "Incidents like this show how easily cooking can turn into disaster. More fires start in the kitchen than in any other room in the home.

"If a fire breaks out in your home, get out to safety and call us. Make sure you have a working smoke alarm."

You can apply for a free home safety visit here .

Local News

Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Kat Shoob

10pm - 1am

Email the show

Text 'HEART' to 82122

Kat Shoob

On TV: Merry Quiz-mas!

12am - 2am

Watch heart TV

  • Kiesza HIDEAWAY

    Now

    iTunes

  • Philip George ALONE NO MORE WITH ANTON POWERS

    00:06

  • Sigma CHANGING FT. PALOMA FAITH

    00:03

  • Pogues/Kirsty MacColl Fairytale Of New York

    00:00

    iTunes

Heart VIP

Local

Autumn Weather

Find your local four day weather report here.

Listening To Radio Win With Heart

Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.

Advertise Advertise in Essex

Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.

Follow Heart on Twitter