Woman Rescued After Essex Pub Fire

Firefighters have rescued a woman after they were called to a pub in Margaretting early this morning.

The woman, thought to be in her 20s, called emergency crews after she was woken by a smoke alarm at the Red Lion in Main Road at around 1.30am

Station Officer Graeme Williams from Chelmsford Station said:

"Firefighters rescued a woman in her twenties from the living quarters above the pub. 

"Crews put a ladder to the window and brought her to safety, she was suffering from smoke inhalation and was placed in the care of the Ambulance Service.

"The woman was asleep at the time of the fire and was woken up by her smoke alarm and called the fire service.  The smoke alarm saved her life as it gave her that vital early warning that a fire had started and time to call 999 for help.

"The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen area after a tumble dryer caught fire."

The two storey building was 75 percent smoke logged. Crews tackled the fire wearing four sets of breathing apparatus and used two hose reels to extinguish the fire by 02:08hrs

ECFRS carry out home fire safety visits, to book please call 0845 6012495

Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Club Classics with Roberto

12am - 1am

Email the show

Text 'HEART' to 82122

Club Classics with Roberto

On TV: Christmas Hits: Guess The Year

12am - 2am

Watch heart TV

  • The Darkness Christmas Time

    Now

    iTunes

  • Shakin' Stevens Merry Christmas Everyone

    00:00

    iTunes

  • Mud Lonely This Christmas

    23:56

    iTunes

  • John Lennon , Yoko Ono Happy Christmas (War Is Over)

    23:52

    iTunes

More On Heart