Devon plans £55 million of cuts
Proposals to cut £54.6 million from Devon County Council's budget were revealed on Tuesaday 17th January in response to Government spending reductions.
But a range of measures to cut budgets for other services across the council have been unveiled and will be presented to a special Scrutiny Committee meeting next Monday (Jan 24).
Cash increases planned for the following:
- Social care for older people
People with disabilities
Children in care
Children with special needs.
The direct grant to schools will increase
No libraries will be closed.
The proposed cuts are planned for the following:
- Children and Young People's Services down by £14 million
The Government's Early Intervention Grant to Devon has been cut by 17 per cent.
Environment and economy will be reduced by 11 per cent
The highways service budget will be reduced by £8 million
Support for bus services is being reduced by £1.3 million from £7.7 million.
Waste disposal is being cut by £2.1 million
Devon's adult and community services' budget down 4.75 per cent
Devon County Council leader John Hart said the authority was leading the way in reducing its management and back office costs.
Last week plans to streamline the council and reduce senior management by over 25 per cent were revealed.
Mr Hart said this had reduced the need for cuts in services and redundancies.
The Joint Scrutiny Committee meets at 9.30am on Monday, January 24.
The meeting will be webcast