Dangerous electrical goods

Gloucestershire Trading Standards officers are warning people about the dangers of buying cheap electrical goods online from overseas.

This after they tested a number of hairdryers and hair straighteners, some aimed at children, as well as mains adaptors for games consoles and laptop chargers.

They tested 25 items that came from China and Hong Kong - all failed basic safety tests while 22 failed on issues that could be serious and were considered unsafe.

Trading Standards Manager for Safety, Mark Gardiner, told Heart more about their tests:

Listen to the interview

Dangerous hairdryer 2 This picture shows a ‘Hello Kitty’ hairdryer bought from Hong Kong for just £5.

It shows the damage caused by overheating.

Mark Gardiner told us why it was dangerous:

Listen to more

The Electrical Safety Council, which funded the research, has come up with a guide to buying electrical goods online, find out more at www.esc.org.uk

Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Justin Walker

4pm - 7pm

Email the show

Text 'SHOW' to 82122

Justin Walker

On TV: 23 Sleeps Til Santa!

6pm - 7pm

Watch heart TV

  • Elton John Step Into Christmas

    18:10

    iTunes

  • Tom Jones & Cerys Matthews Baby It's Cold Outside

    18:05

    iTunes

  • East 17 Stay Another Day

    18:01

    iTunes

  • Band Aid 30 Do They Know It's Christmas?

    17:57

    iTunes

More On Heart