26-year-old Richard Donovan has been told he must at least 30 years in prison before being considered for parole.
Kent: Police Welcome Legal High Laws
Kent Police say the new laws on so called legal highs are a "huge step forward" in tackling the harm they cause in communities.
As of midnight, it is now an offence to import, supply or sell new psychoactive substances.
Offenders could face up to seven years behind bars if they are caught. This applies to shops, online retailers and also includes anyone selling them or even give them away for free (to friends).
Key points of act:
· New psychoactive substances (NPS) are those capable of producing a psychoactive effect, which seek to mimic drugs such as cocaine and ecstasy, but which are not currently controlled as class A, B, or C drugs. They exclude substances such as tobacco, alcohol caffeine and medical products
· It will be an offence to produce, sell, and import or export NPS. Those who do could face prison sentences up to seven years
· Buying NPS online could mean you are importing drugs and receive up to seven years in prison
· Giving them to friends could result in supply charges
· It will also be an offence to possess NPS within custodial institutions, or anywhere with intent to supply
Supt Simon Thompson from Kent Police said: "This new legislation is a huge step forward in tackling the harm caused in communities by these drugs. Importantly, we will now be able to legally seize and destroy substances and have powers to stop and search individuals and premises, when appropriate.
"We remain very concerned that they pose serious health risks to anyone who uses them and have now sent letters to any businesses which could potentially sell these substances, outlining the new laws and their responsibilities."
Police say they want to work with businesses to help reduce the harm caused by all drugs and whilst the new laws come with robust sentencing guidelines, any offence will be judged individually and depending on the circumstances.
18-year-old Ben Savage from Rochester missing after a night out.
16-Year-Old Kelly Turner has a very rare cancer and without surgery Kelly has just a years to live.
Jack Howard has died from a rare form of cancer just weeks after pioneering treatment in LA
Recently Played Tracks
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.