Man Rescue After Chip Pan Fire

There's another reminder not to leave cooking unattended after firefighters rescued a man from a blaze in Cheriton.

They were called to the High Street after a smoke alarm went off.

The man had started cooking, then fell asleep leaving a pan of hot oil on the hob which subsequently caught light.

Folkestone Watch manager Vic Thorogood, who attended the incident, said: "We found an elderly man choking from smoke inhalation so led him to safety, giving him first aid treatment and oxygen.

"After we ventilated the property to clear it of smoke it was clear what had happened; the man, believed to be in his 80’s, had been cooking and fell asleep, leaving a frying pan of hot oil on the hob which subsequently caught light, causing smoke damage to the property."

After his rescue, the man was checked over by ambulance staff as a precaution.

Vic concluded: "Although this incident is relatively small, it could have easily led to more serious injury and damage to the property. It’s easy to lose concentration while cooking, that’s why we are urging people to always stand by your pan.

"It takes a very short space of time for a pan to overheat, or for a grill pan to set light to grease, fat or left over crumbs. Sadly, we often see people getting hurt as a result of these types of incidents which are all preventable. But by following our safety tips you can keep you and your family safe from fires in the kitchen."

Kent Fire and Rescue launched a video in December to warn about the dangers of leaving cooking unattended, so far it's had almost 5000 hits on YouTube.


Kent Fire and Rescue advice:

  • Don’t leave cooking unattended. Turn off the heat if you leave the room. Remember, fire starts when your attention stops
  • Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob
  • Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
  • If you are going out for a night out and may be drinking, try and pre-plan for your return home and take a snack from the fridge or cupboard instead of turning on the cooker for a hot meal.
  • Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries regularly
  • If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service.

Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Simon Beale

1am - 4am

Email the show

Text 'HEART' to 82122

Simon Beale

On TV: Love Songs: Guess The Year!

1:30am - 3am

Watch heart TV