Old cement works to be transformed as part of Ebbsfleet Garden City
Rochester: Airport Renovation Get Go Ahead
Plans for a major renovation project at Rochester Airport have been given full planning permission by the local council. Plans to secure the long-term and profitable future of Rochester Airport and provide up to 1,000 local jobs have been given the go ahead.
Officials say the work will create skilled jobs, enhance tourism and restore the aviation hub to its former glory.
Many of the buildings and facilities at the site date back to the 1930s and are reaching the end of their useful life, with a number of the organisations there operating out of temporary huts or Portakabins.
But now, following public consultation and consideration by Medway Council’s Planning Committee, Rochester Airport is to get a new lease of life.
The scheme includes:
- A paved runway to allow modern small aircraft to take off and climb to a higher altitude very quickly, meaning that less residents will be affected by noise.
- A grass runway to allow the nationally recognised Medway Aircraft Preservation Society (MAPS) to continue to use the site for heritage aircraft and open days.
- The decommissioning of a second grass runway, freeing up more than 10ha within the airport’s grounds for the development of high-tech business, science or technology.
- Three hangars, one to be occupied by the Medway Aircraft Preservation Society.
- A new control tower
- A hub building with office and administrative facilities for the airport and a café.
- The relocation of the airport’s two helipads
The changes are set to make the site a new aviation heritage attraction and encourage more people to visit Medway. While at the same time, protecting the site and securing major private sector investment.
The site will not become a full-scale commercial passenger carrying airport.
Deputy Leader of Medway Council Cllr Alan Jarrett said: “We aim to safeguard aviation for business, heritage and leisure use in this well-connected location as well as releasing new land for jobs in Medway.
“Now these plans have been approved, we can look forward to work commencing later in the year. Public investment will be more than repaid from the development of high-tech business facilities, which will bring new jobs and increasing prosperity to Medway.”
Medway Council worked with airport specialists and neighbouring businesses, including BAE Systems, and evaluated a number of different options for the future of Rochester Airport.
After much consideration it was concluded that the proposals for future development at Rochester Airport achieve the right balance for local residents, businesses and airport users.
Report into Cookham Wood young Offenders Institution near Rochester
An 18-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering Leonne Weeks, 16, who was found dead on a path in Rotherham.
Hopes to recruit 200 trainee drivers to reduce disruption caused by overtime bans
Recently Played Tracks
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.