World's Largest Windfarm Opens
World's largest windfarm officially opens off coast of Thanet
The Thanet Offshore Wind Farm is the largest of it's kind in the world.
It's made up of 100 turbines and has a combined energy capacity to power over 200,000 homes.
The official opening is happening today (23 September) and UK Secretary of State Chris Huhne is attending.
Some facts about the windfarm:
The Thanet Wind Farm is the largest operational wind farm in the world.
• The Thanet Wind Farm is located in water depths of 20-25 meters and cover an area of 35 km2 which is equal to 4,000 football fields.
• Each turbine is up to 115 meters tall at its highest point, with a minimum clearance above sea level of 22 meters.
• The nearest turbine is located approximately 12 km northeast of Foreness Point.
• Thanet Wind Farm consists of 100 Vestas V90 wind turbines.
• The distance between the turbines is approximately 500 meters along rows and 800 meters between rows.
• The total investment for the Thanet Wind Farm is around £880 million.
• The Thanet Wind Farm will generate a total of 300 MW of renewable electricity, enough to power 200,000 homes.
• The connection of Thanet’s 300 MW of capacity in 2010 will boost UK offshore wind capacity by more than 30 percent.
• The Thanet Wind Farm will, on average, produce electricity enough to supply 200,000 homes.
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: Non-stop hit music