Find your local four day weather report here.
Rare Elephant Makes Debut
On 25th of January Howletts Wild Animal Park in Kent welcomed a new addition to their African elephant herd.
(pictures, Charlotte Jones)
He has now made his debut to press and public, enjoying the sunny spell in his outside enclosure with mother Masa. Unusually, the as yet unnamed male was one of a pair of twins but unfortunately the other calf did not survive. Howletts believe that the birth of African elephant twins in captivity is a first in the northern hemisphere.
Both calves were born naturally by Masa who is an experienced mother. Twin African elephants are incredibly rare, estimated to occur in less than 2% of cases, and for both mother and one of the calves to have survived is a great success. The birth of twins in the wild will often result in the death of both mother and calves.
Animal Director Neil Spooner commented:
‘We are delighted to welcome this new arrival into our successful herd and feel particularly blessed that both Masa and one of the calves survived a potentially fatal birth. Twins are incredibly rare so it was certainly a surprise to us all.’
Howletts Wild Animal Park cares for the largest herd of African elephants in the UK and has had more births than all other UK zoos combined. The calf joins sister Jamma who was born five years ago
Now playing: The best feel good music
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.
- 'Muddy' men's jeans on sale for £330 at Nordstrom in US
- Last remaining male rhino goes on Tinder to highlight crisis
- Rare US Declaration of Independence copy discovered in Sussex
- Woolworths Could Be Making A Return To The UK High Street!
- Dinosaur egg fossils dating from 70 million years ago found in China
- Swayze's Dirty Dancing jacket sells for £48,000 despite niece's call to stop auction
- Harry Styles announces debut solo world tour
- Celebrity luxury event Fyre Festival turns to 'mass chaos'
- Liam Gallagher threatens 'war' with Damon Albarn and brother Noel
- Roman Polanski film to open at Cannes film festival