Dramatic Eyes: Seven Tips To Get The Most Out Of Your Mascara
Now you own the perfect mascara, see how you can get the most out of it with these tips to create beautiful lashes, avoid mistakes and making the product last longer.
Mascaras are arguably one of the staples in women's makeup bag. If you are looking for one that adds volume, length, thickness, nourishes, a mineral one or one created for sensitive eyes, you can be sure to find it on the market.
But how can you get the most out of yours and avoid clumping, flaking or smudging?
1 - Pick The Right Mascara For You
First of all decide what you are after. Are your lashes sparse and thin? Are they full but short and stubby? Do they need TLC or are you after a natural look? Peruse a variety of mascaras, open them and look at their brushes before you buy. A large, triangular one is great for thickness, one with small or different-sized bristles is ideal for length and definition and a round one adds extra volume.
2 - Apply It
Applying mascara is not difficult, but it can be messy. With the correct technique you can get the most out of it whilst avoiding smudges and mistakes that often require taking your whole makeup off and starting again.
- Pull the wand out of the mascara tube and get rid of excess product.
- Start applying it at the root of your lashes to add thickness and make them look fuller. Wiggle the brush sideways in an upward movement - this separates them whilst coating them with product.
- As you apply mascara rather than looking directly into a wall-fixed mirror, use a hand-held one and position it at the same height as your nose. This way you'll be forced to look down and this will create more distance between your lashes and your eye lid and brow bone, which will avoid getting the product where it's not needed and staining.
- Depending on how dramatic you want the effect to be, apply two to three coats of mascara. Do so whilst the product is still wet on the lashes to avoid clumping and flaking. Don't be tempted to apply too much product. This will only make your lashes stick together. Not a good look!
- Allow your lashes to dry for a few seconds.
3 - Remove It
Mascaras are easily removed with a face cleanser. If yours is stubborn or waterproof, use an eye makeup remover. We love Merumaya Bi-Phase Plus™ Eye-Makeup Remover (£14.50 and and available to buy here), a conditioning product that's gentle whilst being effective.
If you don't have a makeup remover put a few drops of olive oil onto a cotton pad. This will melt your mascara off quickly.
4 - Look After Your Mascara
After using your mascara make sure you close the tube tightly or the product will dry. Another tip is to wiggle the wand in circular motions when picking up the product before application. Pumping the wand into the tube will push air in, drying up the mascara and causing it to flake when you apply it.
5 - Get Rid Of Clumps
If you get clumps or lashes stuck together, use a clean, brand new stand alone mascara brush (also called 'spoolie') and comb through your lashes. This is best done when the mascara is still wet, to avoid flaking. Alternatively you can use the brush of an old mascara, just make sure you clean it first and it's completely product-free.
6 - If Your Mascara Is Too Thin...
If the formula is too thin or if you've made the mistakes in tip 4, simply put your tube in a glass of icy water for 10-15 minutes before applying.
7 - If Your Mascara Is Too Thick...
If it's too thick, do the opposite and put it in a glass of hot water for 10 minutes. This will warm up the product and make it easier to apply.