On Air Now
Heart Breakfast with Jamie & Emma 6am - 9am
26 October 2017, 16:14
These are the HUGE discounts you can expect from LIDL, Argos and more on Black Friday 2017.
The Christmas countdown has officially begun. That means Christmas lists have to be crossed off - and one of the best ways to get ahead of the game is by cashing in on those big Black Friday deals.
This year, the bargain sales day falls on Friday 24th November 2017.
It's a tradition that started in America, where stores would drop their prices the day after Thanksgiving. Retailers in the UK introduced the sales day overseas to entice shoppers on the run up to Christmas, hoping to cash in.
The name is thought to stem from the 'black ink' used on balance sheets from the huge profits the retailers make on this day, rather than red ink used to identify a loss. Pessimists would argue that it's referred to as Black Friday because of the chaos it causes in the stores, when shoppers lose all sense of inhibitions in order to get their hands on a bargain.
With all the deals from big brands being thrust in our faces, it's easy to get swept away in the mayhem. Here's how to ensure that you don't get ripped off during the shopping season:
1. Make sure that what you're buying really is a bargain by taking a step back to think if the offer is genuinely exclusive to Black Friday, and not available at any other time of year. Often they are but you don't notice them because you're not in a present/bargain-buying frame of mind.
2. Take a closer look at the product you're buying - is it the latest model? Sneaky retailers often use Black Friday as an excuse to get rid of old stock.
3. Avoid scams by being wary when clicking on links sent in emails promising extra special deals. They are likely to take you to phishing websites and before you know it, they've got your bank details!
4. Purchases made on Black Friday and Cyber Monday have the same refund terms as any other day, so if the product isn't right, then get a refund.
1. Do your research. If you know the exact item you want ahead of the 24th, then have a look around online and compare prices in advance.
2. Don't just focus on the Friday. Maybe also look ahead to Cyber Monday (27th November) to bag a bargain.
3. The early bird catches the best deal. Get up early. If you leave it until the afternoon on the 24th, you'll probably miss out!
The men's and women's clothing, accessories, gifts and homeware store warms up with a Black Friday preview sale on Wednesday 22nd November 2017, where you can get up to 40% off on selected lines.
Watch this space and we'll keep updating with the best Black Friday 2017 deals as they become available!