On Air Now
Early Breakfast with Jenni Falconer 4am - 6am
11 April 2015, 12:15
CCTV footage has emerged which appears to show a gang of burglars pulling off the Hatton Garden jewellery heist.
The Daily Mirror published images it said show at least six men arriving the Hatton Garden Safe Deposit company's building in the famous London jewellery quarter on Good Friday.
The paper said the men made two separate visits before leaving on Easter Sunday with the contents of 72 safety deposit boxes in wheelie bins and bags and making a getaway in a white van.
A source was quoted as saying: "This was clearly the work of a professional gang who planned this job down to every last detail. But they may have made a mistake in leaving this footage behind."
Scotland Yard declined to comment on the footage, after earlier admitting officers were told a burglar alarm had gone off at the scene but decided it did not require a response.
In a 17-minute video published on the paper's website, the camera centres on a doorway, with an adjacent intercom, at the bottom of a stairway to the street.
Several men appear wearing high-visibility jackets, builder's hats, gloves and dust masks and carrying orange tool boxes and holdalls. Others are wearing blue overalls and gloves.
Three men, their faces covered, are pictured manoeuvring wheelie bins in and out of the building.
A white van is seen pulling up shortly before 7am on Easter Sunday, according to the paper, and once the bins and bags are loaded, the group get in and drive away.
Earlier it emerged a security firm had contacted the force about an intruder alert shortly after midnight on Good Friday, but the call was graded in a way that "meant that no police response was deemed to be required".
It was not until Tuesday morning - more than four days later - that the audacious raid in London's jewellery district was discovered.
Detectives found of the 72 safety deposit boxes had been opened, five were vacant and 11 were due to be "drilled out" due to non payment of fees, meaning officers were attempting to contact a total of 56 box holders.
Victims have expresses anger at the lapse, which is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police.
Michael Miller, from Knightsbridge, who may have lost £50,000 in uninsured jewellery, said: "I am just so shocked and disappointed to hear the police didn't answer that alarm."