Fire Warning Over Hair Straightners

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus have rescued an unconscious woman from a house fire in Southgate after she left her hot hair straighteners on the floor.

The hair straighteners had been left switched on lying on a wooden laminated floor.


It is the second time in a week that hot hair straighteners have been linked to the cause of a fire with potentially fatal consequences.


Finchley fire station Watch Manager Tony Keating said:


“ We believe the fire was started by hair straighteners being left on.


“Fortunately the woman was woken by a smoke alarm and dialled 999. When crews arrived they found her unconscious and not breathing on the first floor landing. She was brought out of the property and firefighters started resuscitation before ambulance crews arrived. 


“You should never leave hair straighteners switched on and they should always be used cautiously and with care. The incident also highlights the importance of a working smoke alarm which sounded and this helped save her life.”


Two fire engines from Finchley fire station with 14 firefighters and officers tackled the blaze on Morton Way, Southgate, N14 which badly damaged the loft conversion.  The fire started at 0500 and was put out at 0559 on Wednesday April 3rd.


The woman was treated by the London Ambulance service and taken to hospital.


London Fire Bridgade tell us hair straighteners were also linked to another fire in Pinner last week when a woman was distracted.

Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Simon Beale

1am - 4am

Email the show

Text 'HEART' to 82122

Simon Beale

On TV: 2009's Biggest Sellers!

3am - 4am

Watch heart TV

Heart VIP


Autumn Weather

Find your local four day weather report here.

Listening To Radio Win With Heart

Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.

Advertise Advertise in London

Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.

Follow Heart on Twitter