Man Pleads Guilty To Manslaughter
A man has admitted the manslaughter of another man and attacking his two children with a knife on the grounds of diminished responsibility.
Mohammed Ali, 39ys, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey on Monday 15 April, to the manslaughter, by virtue of diminished responsibility, of 46 year old Abed Polin.
He also pleaded guilty to the wounding with intent of Mr. Polin's two children at an address in Queens Road, E17 on 28 October 2012.
He was sentenced under sections 37 & 41 of the Mental Health Act, to be detained at a secure psychiatric hospital without limit of time.
Police were called at 21.25 on Sunday 28 October 2012 to reports of a disturbance at 172 Queens Road E17.
Police and paramedics entered the address and discovered the victim, Mr. Abed POLIN, in a basement room with a severe injury to his neck. Despite medical intervention, Mr. POLIN died of his injuries at the scene.
Officers found two other injured parties at the address: Ms. Nameerah POLIN, the daughter of deceased and estranged wife of the suspect, and Mr. Nasser POLIN, the deceased's son, both in their 20's. Both were taken to hospital and later discharged following treatment for stab wounds.
The defendant, Mohammed ALI, had already left the address and walked a short distance to a convenience store where he told staff that he had been attacked. He was bleeding from a laceration to his hand, sustained whilst inflicting the injuries on his victims with a knife. He was quickly arrested by police and subsequently charged. He made no comment during police interviews.
The investigation was headed by DCI Tim Duffield of the Homicide and Serious Crime Command, who said:
"Mr. Polin was a well respected and much loved family man. Hopefully today's sentencing will provide some small measure of solace for his family and mark the beginning of their coming to terms with their loss".