On Air Now
Early Breakfast with Jenni Falconer 4am - 6am
12 November 2014, 11:28
A man who was jailed for life for shooting dead three unarmed policemen in 1966 is now out of prison.
78-year-old Harry Roberts was released from Littlehey prison in Cambridgeshire on Monday night, the Sun reported.
Roberts spent 45 years in jail after murdering Detective Sergeant Christopher Head, 30, Detective Constable David Wombwell, 25, and Constable Geoffrey Fox, 41.
The revelation that he was to be let out of prison sparked anger last month.
Chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation John Tully said on Twitter that he thought Roberts's release was "sickening".
Mandy Fox, the youngest daughter of Pc Fox, branded the decision a "disgrace" and said she was "sickened" that Roberts was being released.
Gillian Wombwell, the widow of Mr Wombwell, said: "Our sentence is for life and so should his be."
The prospect of Roberts being set free also drew strong criticism from Met Police Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, who said a life sentence should have been just that.
Home Secretary Theresa May and London mayor Boris Johnson added their voices to the chorus calling for Roberts to remain behind bars.
However, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg last month defended the Parole Board which decided on the release, saying such a decision is not about "feelings" but "how the justice system works".
He said: "If you want to run the system according to the latest emotion you feel, fine, but that would be a disaster."
A spokesman for the Ministry of Justice said: "We do not comment on individuals.
"Offenders on life sentences are subject to strict controls for as long as their risk requires them. If they fail to comply with these conditions they can be immediately returned to prison.
"Offenders managed through multi-agency public protection arrangements (Mappa) are monitored and supervised by probation, police and other agencies."