The remains of a mysterious sea creature have washed up on the shore of the Philippines.
Lonely 89-Year-Old Veteran Lands A Job After Placing An Ad Saying He's 'Dying Of Boredom'
After posting an advert in his local newspaper asking for a job to "save me from dying of boredom", pensioner Joe has been inundated with job offers!
When Joe Bartley's wife died last year, he knew that he would feel alone but he never expected how bored he'd be without the company of the one he loved.
Instead of staying at home and wallowing in lonliness, ex-soldier Joe took matters into his own hands and placed an advert in the local paper asking for work to "Save [me] from dying of boredom!"
Joe met cafe co-owner Kate Allen at his first ever interview. Picture | SWNS
The advert read: "WORK WANTED. Senior citizen 89 seeks employment in Paignton area. 20hrs+ per week. Still able to clean, light gardening, DIY and anything. I have references. Old soldier, airborne forces. Save me from dying of boredom!"
Since then, he has been inundated with job offers and has accepted a job in a posh cafe.
Joe Bartley, 89, was "over the moon" after smashing his first ever job interview to become a waiter at the Cantina Kitchen and Bar.
The widower, who retired from his last job as a college cleaner six years ago, said: "I don’t think I’ve had a job interview before. I’m joyfully surprised at the outcome – I’m really glad I got it."
Joe, who has no children and lives alone after his wife Cassie died last year, added: "I’ve spoken to a lot of people here already.
Joe started his job this weekend! Picture | SWNS
"They all seem really nice and one lady gave me a kiss. You don’t see anybody where I am, in a flat, so I’m looking forward to getting involved and meeting people."
The pensioner, who served as a wireless operator with the 6th Airborne Divisional Signals in Palestine after the war, will be waiting, cleaning and preparing veg in his new job - and he's even keen for some overtime!
Co-owner Kate Allen, 43, said: “We’re really looking forward to having him.”
Good luck in the new job Joe! We can definitely learn a thing or two from your work ethic.
Police have found "thousands" of cannabis plants, valued at more than £1m, in an underground nuclear bunker built during the 1980s.
As Storm Doris blows us all away here are some people who saw the funny side...
The "dab" dance is a phenomenon that has caught on around the world.
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
- Police officer commandeers gritter lorry to find missing boy
- McDonald's Workers Share Tips On How Get The Freshest And Cheapest Food!
- There Is ONE Rare Fiver Worth £50k Left In Circulation In The UK - Could It Be Yours?
- Men and women 'need different things' to keep friendships alive
- Not Again! A New Pokemon Go Is Heading Our Way...
- Jodie Foster tells demostrators at rally it is time to resist Donald Trump
- Will practice make perfect for La La Land star?
- Foo Fighters to headline at Glastonbury 2017
- Emma Thompson 'too sad' to do Love Actually sequel without Alan Rickman
- Ant And Dec Are In Talks To Bring Back SM:tv LIVE For Its 20th Anniversary!