A bust of Portugal footballer Cristiano Ronaldo has caused a storm online - for all the wrong reasons.
Does Tapping A Coke Can Actually Stop It From Fizzing Up? Science Has The Answer...
Are you a coke can tapper or a non-believer?
Do you ever feel like a bit of a melon tapping the top of a coke can to stop it from fizzing over before tucking in? Or are you a sceptic convinced it doesn't work?
Well, science has spoken and it seems to suggest that the technique might actually work!
Christopher Arthur Edward Hamlett, a chemistry lecturer from Nottingham Trent University, wrote an essay for The Conversation trying to explain the science behind it.
He wrote: "Before the can is opened, microscopic gas bubbles attach to the inside of it (nucleation). When the can is opened, these bubbles increase in size, due to the decrease in the solubility of CO2.
"When these bubbles reach a certain size they detach from the inside of the can and rise up to the top of the can due to buoyancy and displace liquid in their path.
"So what part could tapping the top of the can play in this process? As described earlier, the bubbles in an unopened can nucleate at the walls, so tapping the can before opening could dislodge some of the bubbles, enabling them to float to the top of the liquid.
"When a can is opened, the bubbles expand with those deeper within the liquid travelling further than those near the surface, displacing more of the drink and possibly resulting in greater amounts of ejected liquid. A “tapped” can will have fewer of these “deep” bubbles and so less liquid will be dislodged – and possibly sprayed out – than an “untapped” can."
Get it? We think we do... All we know is that we're going to keep on tapping because, well, science says so!
As summer camps go, this is the wackiest one we've heard of and it will be heading to London in August!
Plans for thousands of people to float on inflatables down the River Tyne on a "booze cruise" have been criticised by police.
You may have been making tea wrong this whole time! A tea expert is warning people about the perils of this cuppa ruining mistake...
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
- Can You Tell The Celebrity From The Waxwork In Our Hardest Quiz EVER
- Your Favourite Chocolate Could Be Shrinking In Size!
- An Asteroid Is Due To Zoom Past Earth A Bit Too Close For Comfort Tonight!
- This Girl Took The Man Who Saved Her From Hurricane Katrina To Her Ball
- The Coat That EVERYBODY Had Last Year Has Had A Revamp!
- Oscars blunder sparks new rules backstage for PwC accountants
- Celebrities join Royals' emotional mental health campaign
- George Michael's funeral: Singer laid to rest at private ceremony
- True Detective: Should we be excited about the HBO show's revival?
- Drake breaks his own streaming record with More Life