World number one Andy Murray kicked off his Australian Open campaign with a hard-fought straight-sets victory against Illya Marchenko on Monday.
FIFA names Ronaldo the world's best player
Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo has been named the world's best player at the inaugural Best FIFA Football Awards in Zurich.
The award comes off the back of Ronaldo winning the 61st edition of the Ballon d'Or in December following a stellar year which saw him achieve Champions League and Euro 2016 success with Real Madrid and Portugal.
Ronaldo beat Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Atletico Madrid's Antoine Griezmann to clinch the prize on Monday.
"Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. It's incredible. I want to thank my teammates of Real Madrid and the coach," said Ronaldo upon picking up his award.
"Thanks for everything you have done for me. I must thank my family and my whole staff for everything they have given me. 2016 was the best year of my career.
"I had a lot of doubts, but at the end of it the trophies speak for themselves. They show I've lived up to the expectations and I achieved the best I could.
"This achievement is incredible. I will never forget this year. I'm really happy."
Ronaldo had earlier been named in the FIFPro World 11, while Leicester City boss Claudio Ranieri claimed the FIFA Coach of the Year award.
Ronaldo's main rival Lionel Messi was not at the event, nor were any of his Barca teammates due to team commitments.
(c) Sky News 2017: FIFA names Ronaldo the world's best player
Diego Costa has been dropped from Chelsea's squad to face Leicester City after a row with a club fitness coach, according to Sky sources.
Hammersmith & Fulham Council has unanimously approved planning permission for Chelsea to redevelop Stamford Bridge.
Maria Sharapova will make her professional tennis comeback at the Porsche Grand Prix in April, following a doping ban.
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
- Wayne Rooney equals Bobby Charlton's Manchester United goal record
- Allan Nyom and Joel Matip left out of Cameroon squad
- Arsene Wenger plays down Alexis Sanchez reaction at Bournemouth
- Manu Tuilagi out of Six Nations and rest of season with injury
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic wins Player of the Month award for December
- Pay growth accelerates but employment slips again - ONS
- Three 'strong' earthquakes felt in Rome and central Italy region
- Cancun: Second shooting in two days in Mexico tourist hotspot
- Julian Assange 'stands by' extradition deal pledge after Chelsea Manning release
- More people killed by horses than snakes in Australia, says study