Watford tell Everton to end pursuit of Marco Silva

22 November 2017, 21:05

Watford have told Everton to end their pursuit of Hornets boss Marco Silva, according to Sky sources.

Watford's CEO Scott Duxbury contacted the Everton board last weekend and asked them to cease their efforts to persuade Silva to head north.

On Wednesday evening a well-placed source told Sky Sports News that Everton had accepted Watford's request.

Everton sacked manager Ronald Koeman last month and Silva has been strongly linked with the Goodison Park job since, having impressed since arriving in the Premier League.

The Portuguese emerged with credit despite failing to keep Hull up last season, having only taken over in January, and Watford are currently eighth after hiring the 40-year-old in the summer.

Silva hinted last week that he might be interested in talking to Everton but Watford have made it clear that they want him to remain at Vicarage Road and have rejected an approach from the Merseyside club.