Norfolk: Plan to Buy Former RAF Coltishall
Heart is being told about a plan to buy the old RAF Coltishall airbase after much of it has sat empty for six years.
Norfolk County Council say they are getting close to buying the base north of Norwich that was open from 1940 until 2006.
Since being closed off part of the site has become Bure Prison and the old married housing has been renovated and put back on the market again, but the remainder of the base has been locked up and left unused.
In the last few years there have been several plans to purchase the base, but they have all fallen through.
The plan is for the council to purchase the site and get it set up for several different uses.
- The aircraft hangars and engineering buildings could be fitted out for business and engineering companies to use that could create new jobs.
- New housing could be put into some of the old accommodation blocks
- Facilities on the base like the gym have potential to be redeveloped for the public to use again
- The remaining airfield could be turned back into farmland again like it was before World War Two
- Key historical buildings would be reopened for the public to be able to see
After six years sitting empty, many of the buildings and facilities are starting to fall into a state of disrepair and the council believe if they don't act now then then they could miss the opportunity to bring them back into use again.
News of the County Council's involvement has been welcomed by local MPs, business leaders and parish councils.
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: The best feel good music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.