On Air Now
Early Breakfast with Jenni Falconer 4am - 6am
23 February 2012, 15:52
Residents in one Norwich neighbourhood were today evacuated from their homes by police following the discovery of an unexploded war-time shell.
The device, which had been discovered in Gowing Road by workmen the previous day, was later safely deactivated in a controlled explosion by Army bomb disposal experts.
To maximise public safety, people in Bowers Avenue, Eustace Road, Appleyard Crescent and Gowing Road were evacuted from more than 50 homes by police shortly after 10am while the work was carried out. Boundary Road was also closed to traffic for a short time.
Norwich Policing Commander Superintendent Paul Sanford, who attended the scene, said: "Public safety was our priority and we are very grateful to local residents and motorists for their understanding and patience during this operation, which helped bring the incident to a safe conclusion."
The discovery was made on a development on Bowers Avenue by workers at the site shortly after 3pm on Wednesday 22 February. The scene remained sealed pending the arrival of Army bomb disposal experts from Colchester.
The device, later identified as a 13lb HE with fuse, was considered too volatile to move and was subsequently blown up in a controlled explosion at 12.45pm after people had been evacuated from nearby houses.
They were able to move temorarily to the Norman Centre in Bignold Road.
The controlled explosion of a wartime bomb which was discovered in Mile Cross in Norwich yesterday afternoon has been carried out.
It's after an unexploded device was found at Bowers Avenue by workmen yesterday afternoon.
Army bomb disposal experts have now carried out a controlled explosion of the devices in Bowers Avenue and police have re-opened Boundary Road (outer ring road) to traffic.
Local residents will continue to be updated directly by police at the scene.
The bomb disposal experts are now leaving the scene and all roads, except part of Bowers Avenue, have now been re-opened.
Police are now encouraging residents who were previous evacuated from their homes to return to their properties.
23rd February 2012, 11:28
Police have started the evacuation of a number of homes in Norwich following the discovery of an unexploded war-time bomb.
Army bomb disposal experts are at the scene in Bowers Avenue in Mile Cross, where two shells were discovered by workmen shortly after 3pm, yesterday Tuesday 22nd February.
The area has been cordoned off since yesterday afternoon.
On army advice, and as a precautionary measure, local residents have started to be evacuated from their homes to the nearby Norman Centre.
A controlled explosion is planned later in the day at which point part of the inner-ring road will be closed to traffic for a short-time. The time of the this has yet not been confirmed.
Police and PCSOs are in the process of contacting households to advise them of the arrangements.
Inspector Neil Richards said: "People should not be alarmed but, due to the location of the devices in a residential area, we will be asking residents in Bowers Avenue and other nearby homes to evacuate to allow the army to carry out their planned work at the scene.
Anyone returning to their property is asked to contact any of the police officers or PCSOs on scene to seek further information."
For further information call the police non-emergency number 101.